Monday, June 22, 2009

My father's frugal wisdom

This is a day late, but thanks to this wise advice from my dad, I'll never be a dollar short. :)

Once, in high school, I came home from my retail job rejoicing over a shirt I bought for $.99. "What a deal!" I thought. "Just 99 cents! I saved about $15 buying this shirt on clearance."

But Dad looked at it from another perspective: "If you buy something you don't need, you didn't save $15. You wasted $.99."

His wise words dampened my spirit that day, but they have bolstered my bank account many a day since. One of the greatest keys to frugality and financial prosperity is self control. If you need it, buy it, and try to get it for a good price. But if you really don't need it, it'll never be a deal no matter what the price tag says.

Thanks, Dad.

3 comments:

  1. So are you saying that I need to return that big gray purse that I got on sale this weekend, at a nearly 60% discount :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That depends.

    First there's the "can you afford it?" question. If yes, proceed to question #2. If no, find your receipt.

    Second question is do you need it? If you already have a big gray purse -- or a big black one that will do -- then the answer may be no. But if not, then rock it!

    Just don't be like me. There was a season in my life when I had 6 black skirts and only wore one of them. But I kept looking at black skirts in the store! Bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so wise! please thank your dad for giving me this wisdom through you :) haha!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Yeah, it was me. I’m the woman in the line in front of you at the store, handing the cashier more coupons than dollar bills. Wondering how you can do it too? You’ve come to the right place. I don’t think I’ve ever met a coupon I didn’t like. My friends will tell you I was thrifty before the Great Recession made it hip. I created Love It For Less to show you how you can buy your favorite brands and shop your favorite stores for less money -- because having money left over for something else is never a bad thing.

Swidget 1.0

Followers